24 April 2009

From Uganda

On the Ground by Lydia Smit, South Africa

Nothing can compare to the sights and sounds of Africa. It has been a year since I have been in central Africa. There is a strange familiarity to the old (but comforting) bucket shower after a day’s travel and being cushioned in by a mosquito net for a night’s rest. I realised again my love for simplicity.

When we landed in Entebbe, Uganda, a sunset serenaded us into our new-found destination. I loved the thought that in the distance there were fishermen going out for the late catch of the day. In my heart the journey to come here started long before I placed my feet on Ugandan soil.

At the end of last year, God placed it on my heart to do a School of Field Journalism (SOFJ) through a ministry called Africom. This ministry is focused on communication within YWAM projects around the continent of Africa. At the time, I did not know exactly what I should do with the skills I would acquire with the school, but I had it on my heart to tell stories: stories of Gods testimony in the lives of people, situations, stories of tragedy, and hardship but also restoration. So much is happening around the world and many times the immensity of its beauty is lost for it is not shared and celebrated.

I knew that this school included a practical outreach that was designed to serve different YWAM ministries within the continent as well as to communicate what is happening in this part of the world.

Just after the three month lecture phase I was to fly to Uganda, but I still did not have the funds, I just knew I was to go. So all I could do is pray, visit friends, and wait as my departure date arrived. But a word echoed in my heart , a word I had received just before I was to leave, “I will never leave you of forsake you”(Psalm 18:30) God's way is perfect! The promise of the LORD has proven to be true. He is a shield to all those who take refuge in him. I took God at his work and did everything I could to prepare for the trip.

God came through for me! Monday morning, the day I was to fly, I received the ticket that would take me to Uganda that same afternoon.

Now, I have been in Uganda for two weeks. It is hard to explain the beauty of this place. God’s faithfulness has not ceased. There is so much God is doing through YWAM here, as well as through individuals. And it has been a blessing to see it. I have learned it is better to walk in faith than to trust in your own human effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment